Friday, January 7, 2011

being "nice" CAN get you in trouble

As I was at this store yesterday, I saw this foreign woman buying games. I noticed that the people who were assisting her were unfamiliar with her language so I decided to intercede and help them out. I was asking her about what kind of titles does she need, who's going to play, and what are their game preferences.

The place she had been buying games from is a place where they sell bootleg copies. And so I asked her where she got her console, what games has she played on the system so far, and finally: has she gotten it modified yet? 

Intention-wise, I was trying to help the guys in the store out so that they can get more profit from this transaction by getting the woman to bring her console in and get it modded by them. They didn't understand what we were talking about because they weren't really familiar with the language so they got ticked off and even asked me to step aside. Confused as I was, I just left and let them deal with her. Sure enough, when the woman had left and I'd gone back to the store, one guy confronted me and told me that I should mind my own business. I told him that I was telling the woman to bring her console in so they can get more profit. Still ticked off, his other friend who understood, told him to let it go and said that we're good. Praise God for this friend of his.

Note to self: Do not help people unless asked to? I can't put a dot on this statement because this doesn't really feel right. But if I were to bound it on rules of self preservation, I should.

-Jeric

No comments:

Post a Comment