Sunday, January 2, 2011

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

                                                                  (image borrowed from microsoft store)

I've very recently finished this game! Praise God! For a casual gamer such as myself, setting the difficulty on the hardest available setting wasn't the brightest of choices. But I muscled through and was able to get through the game.

Upon starting the game, I felt there's potential for a great gaming experience. The longer I play, I felt that I'm no longer moved by the gameplay, rather I was being dragged into Castlevania by it's story. There were some minor quirks that were pointed out by other people who reviewed the game such as bad camera angles, bugs, and these tutorial notes that were too darn persistent, I think it's a game well worth playing through. On the xbox 360 release, there was a game update that I had to install when I played the game while signed in to xbl (xbox live) which addressed some of these issues, lessening the distraction caused by these little things.

The player enters the game as Gabriel Belmont, a member of the Brotherhood of Light. Fighting supernatural creatures, bosses, and occasional titans he presses forward trying to find out what happened to his wife, Maria, who he dreamed of killing. Further into the game, he discovers that there is a way to resurrect Maria and is filled with hope to do so. In turn, he starts to kill more and more creatures to save his beloved wife.

I can't tell you more about the plot since I would be spoiling the story for you. But I enjoyed every bit of it and I deem that most of you will too.

As for the overall appearance of the game, the characters look like they were well thought of. Some given more time than others but ultimately it seemed to me that they were designed appropriately. The environment was a marvel to look at. Vast landscapes, gloomy caves, beautifully vegetated gardens were all candy to the eyes. I'd have to agree with other reviewers that you encounter some of them too fast that you won't be able to really appreciate the time and effort that was put into them. Still, when you do notice them, you'd realize how so much thought was put into these areas.

The gameplay was good. It's a little bit in the middle of this-will-pass and great. The skills that you get as you progress into the game feel good to execute and look even better when done. From spinning attacks to blast waves, everything felt very fluid. Most are not really needed to complete the game but they are just too much fun to let past. (I might play the game again later on to get all the other combos available)

I was very pleased to finish the game although I felt like when I was getting a hang of the controls and the overall pace of Castlevania, the game was about to end. I did enjoy the ending very much and would watch it again to absorb the idea of it all. Like I said, I wouldn't spoil you with it.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is indeed a great buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment